Asking for referrals is a powerful sales technique that can help businesses to increase revenue and boost profits by gaining new customers through word-of-mouth marketing. However, it is important to ask for referrals in a professional and ethical manner, and to use strategies that are tailored to the specific needs and preferences of the customer. Here are some tips on how to ask for referrals in sales:
- Build strong relationships with customers
The foundation of asking for referrals is building strong relationships with customers. By providing excellent customer service and going above and beyond to meet their needs, you can create a loyal customer base that is more likely to refer others to your business.
- Get your customers to refer other people to your business with ease
One of the keys to getting referrals is making it easy for customers to go ahead and refer new customers to the business. This can include providing referral cards, brochures, or other materials, or creating an online referral form that customers could fill out easily.
There are numerous tools that you can think about using in order to build a proper customer referral program. You just need to go through the different tools available out there and pick the right option out of them. Then you can simply use it in order to attract more customer referrals on your way. You will surely enjoy the features available with such tools, which can help you with managing all the referrals, while providing them with the incentives and rewards that they need to bring more referrals on your way.
- Personalize your ask
Instead of asking for a referral in a generic way, try to personalize your ask to the specific customer. For example, you can ask if they know anyone who might be interested in the same product or service that they just purchased. Or you can ask if they know someone who is facing a problem that your product or service can solve.
It is better if you can spend some time in order to personalize your ask. That’s because it can assist you to reach out to someone in a better way. The time you effort on personalization can deliver amazing returns in the long run.
- Offer incentives
Offering incentives to customers who refer others to your business can be an effective way to increase the number of referrals you receive. These incentives can include discounts, free products or services, or other rewards. There are many ways to offer incentives for referrals, some examples include:
- Giving a discount or coupon code to the referrer and the person being referred.
- Offering a free product or service to the referrer.
- Creating a referral program with tiered rewards for the number of referrals made.
- Giving a small monetary reward for each referral.
- Creating a loyalty program that rewards referrers with points or benefits for each referral made.
It’s important to keep in mind that the incentives should be attractive to both the referrer and the person being referred. Also, the company should be able to afford the incentives offered.
- Follow up
Following up with customers who have referred others to your business is an important step in the referral process. By sending a thank-you note or email, you can show your appreciation and build stronger relationships with your customers. Following up on referrals is an important step in the referral process, and it can help to build stronger relationships with customers, increase revenue, and boost profits. Here are some tips on how to follow up on referrals:
- Be timely: Follow up on referrals as soon as possible, ideally within a few days of receiving them. This will show that you are eager to do business with the referral and that you value their time.
- Be personal: Personalize your follow-up message or call by mentioning the referrer’s name and how they came to know about your business. This will help to establish a connection and show that you value the referral.
- Be informative: Provide the referral with information about your business and the products or services you offer. This can include brochures, flyers, or a website link.
- Be responsive: Respond to any questions or concerns that the referral may have in a timely and professional manner. This will help to build trust and establish a positive relationship.
- Be grateful: Show your appreciation for the referral by sending a thank-you note or email. This can help to build stronger relationships with your customers and encourage them to refer others to your business.
- Follow-up on the referral: Follow-up with the referred lead and see how they are doing, if they have any questions or concerns, and if they are willing to purchase.
- Keep track of referrals: Keep track of all referrals you receive, including the referrer’s name, contact information, and the date the referral was received. This will allow you to follow up with the referral and to track the effectiveness of your referral program over time.
By following these tips, you can improve your follow-up process, increase the likelihood of converting referrals into customers, and maintain
- Measure the results
Measuring the results of your referral program can help you to identify areas for improvement and to adjust your strategy as needed. If you can keep track of the total number of referrals that you get and the total number of conversions that you secure, you will be able to understand the conversion rate. Along with that, you can also understand the impact that your referral program creates on the success of your business.
Now you have a clear understanding on how to ask for referrals when making sales. Adhere to these tips and proceed with asking for referrals. It is a proven and an effective method available to get the most out of your sales efforts.
Looking to grow your business, smash your sales targets or book sales training courses? Here at Thompson Training and Development we offer a FREE training consultation without any obligation.